Subject: Re: net boot loader
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/17/1997 19:58:59
On Wed, 18 Jun 1997 12:47:13 +1000
 Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au> wrote:

 > Has there been any thought or work into making a two stage network boot
 > loader that can load an elf (preferably) or a.out kernel?
 >
 > I'm asking because I'm finding it annoying to have to make an ecoff
 > kernel to boot my machines diskless, that have to be copied to the right
 > tftp area.  Having a boot program there that can load the kernel via NFS
 > from the "normal" location would be much easier.
 >
 > Thoughts?

I have "rototill pmax boot code" on my TODO list... since I need to get
this 5000/200 running reasonably so that I can work on the Alpha TC code
(I want to get rid of a lot of the problems, and to do that, I need to
make a lot of changes to how the pmax port works).

I suspect that, when I'm done, it will look A LOT like the Alpha port
inside, including the boot code.