Subject: Re: CD-ROM for NetBSD/pmax
To: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/01/1997 01:51:50
>Oh, boy...  Careless mistake.  Thanks.  I didn't see what I didn't
>commented out from GENERIC.  It's somehow misterious GENERIC doesn't
>have CD9660 file-system and /dev/MAKEDEV has errornous description
>about cd0.

I just added CD9660 (and tun) to GENERIC.  I think the cd entry in
MAKEDEV is intended for use with MI scsi drivers, if and when they're
avaiable.  AFAIK, NetBSD/pmax attaches SCSI disks as read-only rz
devices; just mount /dev/rz?c as type cd9660.

>While it seems natural NetBSD/pmax doesn't have either
>MSDOSFS or ADOSFS in GENERIC, there are both mount_msdos and
>mount_ados in pmax snapshot binary in turn.

The mount and check tools for msdos and amigados filesystems are
in the list of `standard' machine-independent command to put in /sbin.
There's no easy way to exclude them from a distribution.

I never configured an msdos or AmigaDOS filesystem type; I thought the
primary use for those would be floppies.  The only DECstation with a
floppy is the Personal DECstation with an ioasic-based floppy, and
NetBSD doesnt' support that device.  I suppose someone could use an
external SCSI floppy.  Is it worth adding msdosfs for that case?

>Another subject; It's unreasonable standard NetBSD/pmax doesn't have
>tunnel device in cdevsw[] table.  I enabled the codes as major number
>88, and it seems to run very well.  Over all, send-pr?

Didn't conf.c already have an entry for tun (char device 90)?  And 88
is reserved for a wscons-based keyboard device. I'd recommend getting
an up-to-date conf.c.