Subject: Re: kernel linking with binutils 2.8
To: Arne Henrik Juul <arnej@stud.math.ntnu.no>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/21/1997 18:16:42
Arne,

Hey, wow! Thanks for the linker script!  Putting together all the
pieces to link with binutils-2.8 ld (or even 2.7) has been on my TODO
list for some time.  Thanks for the ldscript.  Please send me e-mail
to discuss the copyright you want on the file and it will appear
in the source tree ASAP.

Re GP-relative addressign in the kernel:

   Yes, it would be a nice thing to have.  I don't understand how you
can get -G 4 or -G 8 to work without also turning on __GP_SUPPORT__
when building locore.  Did you do that, or not?

I also thought GP-rel addreses would make LKMS slightly harder, since
they're going to be run with the standard kernel GP. I think the right
answer is to mandate that LKMs be compiled with -G 0 regardless.

Re getting binutils-2.8 (and 2.8.1) into the NetBSD tree: things are
happening on that front.  If you'd like to check it out, let me know.