Subject: Re: Monochrome X
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kevin Sullivan <ksulliva@psc.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/20/1997 11:42:10
On Tue, 20 May 1997 14:33:38 -0400,
Kevin Sullivan <ksulliva@psc.edu> rites:

>I've just installed NetBSD/pmax on a Decstation 5000/133.  I'm using
>Xcfbpmax as the X server (the other servers give a very garbled screen)
>and start X with "-cc StaticGray".

Ah.  This suggests you have a PMAG-AA.  Is that right? If so, the
PMAG-AA is truly a 1280x1024 display, with off-screen raster space
(the framebuffer memory is 2048x1024, IIRC).

>"xwininfo -root" shows that X thinks I have 8 bits of grey; however, I'm
>only getting 1 bit of color on the screen.  Can this computer do more than
>1 bit?  (It has all "standard" equipment.)

If you have a PMAG-AA, then no. The hardware can only do one bit.  Due
to a well-known X11R56 (and X11R6.1) bug, the Xserver thinks the
hardware is 8-bits deep -- possibly because adjacent on-screen pixels
are in the low-order bits of adjacent bytes.

> If not, is there a way to tell
>X that I only have 1 bit?

I don't know. Maybe the Ultrix FAQ has an answer for this; maybe it
wasn't a problem for the X11R5 servers shipped with Ultrix. I seem to
remember a source-cod kludge for this same problem (with the X
Consortium server on Ultrix 4.x) sometime in 1994/95; I don't suppose
anyone still has a copy of that?