Subject: Re: problems compiling ssh-1.2.17
To: Anne Bennett <anne@alcor.concordia.ca>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/18/1997 10:16:19
On May 18, 12:13am, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> >I've been able to get ssh-1.2.17 working on NetBSD/pmax of about April
> >15.   The snapshot didn't work for me, though, so I did actually have
> >to build a complete tree - maybe something that was fixed after the
> >snapshot was made is causing you trouble.
> My first guess is that the Makefile rules to build ssh libraries from
> assembler sources don't work with a NetBSD ELF target.  If ssh works
> properly on IRIX 6, then the relevant assembler magic
> (.cprestore/.cpsave, and assembling with .abicalls or -DABICALLS) are
> probably in there somewhere.

  I added .abicalls to all the mips2 assembly source files and got rid of
the PIC/non-PIC messages.

  The problem with the libwrap stuff seems to be caused by ld unconditionally
including the libwrap shared library, even if nothing is being referenced from
that library.  Because one of the librwap routines references external
variables defined by the program using that routine, this results in the
undefined references because ssh doesn't define them.  I was able to get
a clean build by removing the -lwrap from the library options in the Makefile
and adding it explicitly to the comand to build sshd (which is the only
program using libwrap).  The ld on the m68k port does not seem to include
shared libraries if nothing in those libraries are referenced.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant