Subject: Re: Can someone test out a GENERIC kernel on a 3100?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Steven E Lumos <slumos@bo.Egr.UNLV.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/15/1997 21:46:59

>Steven E Lumos <slumos@bo.Egr.UNLV.EDU> writes:
>
>[3100 still dies]
>
>Thanks for trying the kernel. Hm.  So much for that idea:(.
>

>>Are there any specific things I should be trying?
>
>No, I'm afraid not. I am currently almost out of clues.
>However, I've built a third kernel, netbsd.3100 in the same directory
>on ftp.netbsd.org as the previous two. Could you try that one, too?

I suppose I have to give this one a rating of "better", since tar goes
for a long time now before hanging.  It also doesn't seem to hang on
the same file every time, like both of the netbsd.generic kernels did.

>This kernel is built with the previous version of sii.c -- the one
>used from 10-Oct-1996 until 29-Apr-1997 -- and makes all the spl()
>levels on the 3100 be splhigh().
>
>If *that* still breaks, and everyone affirms that the problem only
>appeared sometime around April/May, then I'm actually rather skeptical
>that the problem has anything to do with changes to the disk driver,
>per se.

It is more like March/April than April/May.  One of the ones that
hangs is:

    @(#)NetBSD 1.2D (GENERIC) #3: Tue Mar 25 00:33:17 PST 1997
    jonathan@Reno.DSG.Stanford.EDU:/reno/compile/GENERIC

The first one that we had problems with was called 1.2C.  I can't give
you much finer resolution than that though, because we weren't keeping
up with -current, we just upgraded to the snapshot with shared libs,
started getting hangs, and went back to 1.2.

Steve