Subject: Re: Can someone test out a GENERIC kernel on a 3100?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Steven E Lumos <slumos@bo.Egr.UNLV.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/15/1997 19:58:56

>[Kernel that may  alleviate 3100 hangs]
>
>I haven't heard anything about the second kernel I put up.
>And my e-mail to Frank T Lofaro (<ftlofaro@carol.Egr.UNLV.EDU>) is bouncing.

That's a new machine, so maybe the MX record wasn't there or something
(it's there now).

>Could someone else who's had problems with NetBSD-1.2D/pmax please try
>the netbsd.generic kernel on ftp.netbsd,org
>  (ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/pmax/netbsd.generic)
>on a 3100, and let me know if it works better, worse, or the same?
>
>thanks
>--Jonathan

Exactly the same.

FYI, here are some things I did that did NOT hang:

# cp /usr/src/X/x11r6.3.tar.gz /tmp		    # from rz1a to rz0a
# cp /tmp/x11r6.3.tar.gz /usr/src/X/x11r6.3.tar.gz1 # back

And all of the following things DO cause a hang, and always on the 5th
file:

# tar xvzf /tmp/x11r6.3.tar.gz
# tar xvzf /usr/src/X/x11r6.3.tar.gz
# gzip -dc /tmp/x11r6.3.tar.gz | tar xvf -

Are there any specific things I should be trying? Frank is going to
write a program that will create a bunch of randomly sized files and
fill them with random bytes, while printing it's progress, but we
don't know what else to try.

Steve