Subject: May 5 snapshot: new root-filesystem diskimage for bare installation
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 05/11/1997 03:24:23
I've put a kernel compiled from May 1 sources and a user-level
snapshot built from May 5 sources on ftp.netbsd.org in the usual
place.  [Note: this does _not_ include any fixes for the 3100 disk
problems in NetBSD 1.2D!]

This snapshot also includes a `disk image', a gzipped dump of a
32Mbyte root filesystem containing a bare installation root
filesystem.  First-time installation can be done by gunzip'ing
diskimage.gz and copying it onto the beginning of a disk (with dd or
your favourite too.)  The diskimage includes bootblocks and a (bogus)
disklablel.

For first-time installation, dd'ing the diskimage onto a C parition
(or D for NetSD/i386) is probably an easier path than the methods
documented on the Web page.

There's no particular reason for choosing 32Mbytes, other than 16Mytes
is clearly too small.  32Mbytes is enough to hold a few kernels, for a
largish /tmp, and to hold /var for anyone who don't want to use a
dedicated partition for /var (though I usually do.)

I can make a smaller diskimage if 32Mbytes is too big.  I'd prefer to
maintain only one size, so state your preference now!