Subject: Re: 3100 woes [was Re: libdl?]
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Thomas Graichen <graichen@rzpd.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/25/1997 14:12:37
hasn't Simon Burge said ? ...
> On Fri, 25 Apr 1997 04:28:08 -0400 (EDT)  maximum entropy wrote:
>
> > >From: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>
> > >
> > >Jonathan, if you have time to look at this, I have a 3100 in the
> > >basement that I could lend you.   Actually, maybe it's a 2100 - I'm
> > >not sure...
> >
> > It probably makes a big difference which it is.  I installed 1.2D on a
> > friend's 2100 and it has been up for 22 days without any problems like
> > the ones described here for 3100's.
>
> Isn't the only difference between the 2100 and the 3100 a 12.5MHz clock
> vs. a 16.6MHz clock?

i don't think that it has something todo with 2100 or 3100 - it is
more a point of the disks you use - but i haven't found any real point
here

i just can see that i also noticed that on 2 2100's - as long as i
used the second disks too it hangs on heavy disk access:

rz0 at sii0 drive 0 slave 0 SEAGATE ST1480 rev 7336, 832527 512 ...
rz2 at sii0 drive 2 slave 0 FUJITSU M2614S rev 0606, 356178 512 ...

and

rz0 at sii0 drive 0 slave 0 FUJITSU M2624S-512 rev 0202, 1015812 ...
rz3 at sii0 drive 3 slave 0 SEAGATE ST1480 rev 5830, 832527 512 ...

now i only use the rz0 disks on both machines and they are working
fine - i compiled a lot of stuff on them without any problems - they
are up more than 30 days now

also some people which were trying to install another BSD on a pmax
(it is from the pamx specific code nearly identical to NetBSD/pmax -
especially the scsi code is identical - so all all results coming from
them arealso valid for NetBSD/pmax i think - so i hope that it is ok
to tell it here too) told me about problems with various disks - one i
think had problems with HP97548 disks (he tried 3 of them without
any success and got it working with a toshiba disk i think - i can
look it up exactly in my mail at home) and one did'nt get it working on
a seagate 31200 i think - but it worked fine on a jaz drive ... don't
know about the hp disks - but for me it looks like there are problems
with newer disks - i haven't heard anything about problems using dec
rz disks (but i think someone in this thread also had problems with an
rz25 :-( )

at all my result from all this that it is really worth trying various
disks - some of them may work - this is no solution - but maybe it
helps to get maybe some of the 2/3100 mentioned here up if you have
access to other disks to try - maybe

good luck

  thomas graichen - graichen@rzpd.de graichen@OpenBSD.org graichen@FreeBSD.org

  perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when
      there is no longer anything to take away    antoine de saint-exupery