Subject: more on problems building perl (4 & 5)
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/17/1997 00:33:14
I tried building perl with -mno-half-pic and, -mno-abicalls and didn't
get a successful link.  The results are still on my screen at work, and
I'm home now, so I'll look into that one a little further when I get to
work.

The problem does seem to be shared library related though:

mona:tmp/perl/perl 65> cat zz.c
#include <math.h>
#include <stdio.h>

main()
{
        double  res;

        printf("in:  %.2f\n", 123.45);
        (void) modf(123.45, &res);
        printf("out: %.2f\n", res);
}
mona:tmp/perl/perl 66> cc -o zz zz.c /usr/lib/libc.a
mona:tmp/perl/perl 67> ./zz
in:  123.45
out: 123.00
mona:tmp/perl/perl 68> cc -o zz zz.c
mona:tmp/perl/perl 69> ./zz
in:  123.45
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
mona:tmp/perl/perl 70> gdb zz zz.core
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
GDB 4.15.1 (mips-dec-netbsd), Copyright 1995 Free Software Foundation, Inc...
Core was generated by `zz'.

warning: Hit heuristic-fence-post without finding

warning: enclosing function for address 0x200464c0
This warning occurs if you are debugging a function without any symbols
(for example, in a stripped executable).  In that case, you may wish to
increase the size of the search with the `set heuristic-fence-post' command.

Otherwise, you told GDB there was a function where there isn't one, or
(more likely) you have encountered a bug in GDB.
#0  0x200464c0 in _gp ()

I'm guessing that 0x2xxxxxx is where the shared libraries live?  From
here I'm lost.

Anyways, bed time now.  If this isn't enough for people to go on, I'll
see what else I can do later.

btw/ This is with the second to last snapshot (snapshot-1997-03-05).

Simon.