Subject: DS3100 kernel lockups
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/15/1997 16:37:19
    Just picked up a 3100, with CFB, 24MB RAM, and I put a Seagate
ST3600N (~500MB, rz2) drive in it.  Put the miniroot on an old ST138N
(30MB, rz4), and labelled the ST3600 and nfs installed the March 5th
snapshot.  Unpacked and booted fine.  Built a custom kernel based on the
DS3100 (which didn't compile straight out of the box, it failed on a
missing dc_ioasic_consinit symbol in pmax/cpu_cons.c (prolly something
wrong, since this is a 3MAX symbol, and I only had 3100 defined in the
config file.  I can submit a PR if nobody knew about this one).  But I
fixed that, and recompiled, and booted just fine with my new kernel.
However, on occasion (3 times in the past few hours) it locks during
disk access.  The first two times both the ST138 and the ST3600 were on
the chain, so I figured it might have been the problem mentioned earlier
with two drives on the sii chain and pulled the ST138.  But it just
locked up again while writing to the HD.  All 3 times, the machine
simply locks, no keys respond, doesn't respond to pings, and the HD
light is locked on.  Is there anything I can do to try to figure out
what's going on?  I guess it's something with the sii driver, but there
doesn't seem to be any indications other than the freeze.

    I honestly don't recall if all 3 crashes were under my kernel, or if
some were under the snapshot kernel.  So I'll drop back to the snapshot
one and see how that goes.  But if anybody has any suggestions, I'd sure
like to hear them!!  =)

    BTW, Benson and I have been talking (he's the one who got me this
3100...  =), I haven't been having the same crashing problems he has
with ar.  I compiled his tcp_wrappers program just fine on my machine.
But he's been experiencing the same HD lockups as well.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Are there even many people
around here running NetBSD on a 3100??  =)  -current??

                                                          Will Ferry

William O Ferry <woferry@CMU.EDU> | finger:  woferry@WarpDrive.RES.CMU.EDU
talk:  finger for online status   | http://warpdrive.res.cmu.edu/~woferry/