Subject: Re: Problem: 2nd SCSI disk in DS 5000/33
To: None <jan.mueller@tu-harburg.d400.de, port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/15/1997 09:01:06
On Mar 15,  3:39pm, jan.mueller@tu-harburg.d400.de wrote:
> Another problem is that NetBSD doesn't see the external
> disks at all (cnfg 3 does!).

  What ID do you have the external disk set to?  The pmax scsi configuration
currently only recognizes 0 through 4.  5 and 6 will not be "seen" by
NetBSD.

> its own port. When i boot OpenBSD from the Quantum i
> get a 'halted' after the SCSI configuration or if it comes up
> it spins up the RZ25 but then tells me drive isn't ready...

  I've noticed that my 5000/25 has trouble with the internal RZ25 when
it has to spin it up during the device probe.  If I boot from it, the
PROM will spin it up and the device probe has no trouble, but if I boot
from another disk, the RZ25 will show an error.  I haven't bothered trying
to fix that  - the rz driver will be going away some day.  It's also easier
to configure the drive to spin up on power anyway.

> Any suggestions or informations about how
> to connect/terminate  the disks are welcome.

  I'm running a 5000/25 with two external RZ56 drives connected to the external
SCSI connector, with a terminator on the expansion box.  I'm also running
a 5000/50 with an external RZ24 connected to the external SCSI connection,
also terminated.  Both are working fine.

  I don't recall seeing a second SCSI connector inside the box.  The internal
drive is probably terminated on the motherboard and relies on the short
cable used to connect that drive.  Extending that cable to a second drive
probably would have problem, unless the cable was very short (i.e. the
second drive sitting on top of the internal drive and the connecting cable
as short as possible).

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  mhitch@montana.edu