Subject: Problem: 2nd SCSI disk in DS 5000/33
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <jan.mueller@tu-harburg.d400.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/15/1997 15:39:35
Hi !

I have a Personal DecStation 5000/33 without any documentation.
It has one RZ25-E internal disk.

I want to add another disk (Quantum LPS340).
The mainboard has two internal SCSI-connectors, one on the
left side where the (unterminated!!) RZ25 is connected and
another on the right side close to the floppy-connector.
There is a little sticker, with a safety-warning that tells me
"see instruction for use, before making any connection
to this module".
There is an external 50pin mini-centronics port, which is
terminated.

My question is: can i use the connector on the right
side for a 2nd disk and how do i have to terminate the
SCSI-bus ??

I played around with a daisy-chain cable on the first port
and with each disk on its own connector. In addition i
connected external disks but all this wasn't stable.

Another problem is that NetBSD doesn't see the external
disks at all (cnfg 3 does!).

When i boot NetBSD from the RZ25 i can usually see both
disk when they are both unterminated and each connected to
its own port. When i boot OpenBSD from the Quantum i
get a 'halted' after the SCSI configuration or if it comes up
it spins up the RZ25 but then tells me drive isn't ready...

Any suggestions or informations about how
to connect/terminate  the disks are welcome.

Thanks, Jan.

Jan Mueller
INET: jan.mueller@tu-harburg.d400.de