Subject: problems building perl (4 & 5).
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/13/1997 19:52:51
Simon Burge writes:

>Has anyone had troubles building perl with the new the shared-library
>snapshot?  I've tried building both perl 4.036 and perl 5.003, and both
>fail the lex test of the int() function.  I haven't yet had time to have
>a good look at this...

Have you tried building with
	cc -mno-half-pic -mno-abicalls

and linking  statically?  If that fails too it's likely to be a linker
bug. Try renaming /usr/bin/ld to something else and symlinking ld -> ld.old.

ld.old is the binutils-2.6, which can't handle mips-ELF shared libs at
all, or I'd say try that.  The gcc in the NetBSD hasn't changed in
ages so I doubt that's the problem.

The binutils-2.7 ld that was in the previous snapshot might work better;
have you tried that?  I'm guessig you built Perl eariler and it
worked, so maybe the binutils 2.7 ld worked better.