Subject: Re: updated snapshot on ftp.netbsd.org
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: A.Arnold <arnold@zam331.zam.kfa-juelich.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/07/1997 17:36:07

>Bad system call

You also have to install a new kernel - it seems the new network programs need
a few kernel functions that are not present in the 1.2 kernel.  The kernel
in the snapshot directory should work.  You are not alone with this gotcha -
the same happened to me when I updated.  Thankfully, FTP'ing something INTO
the machine still worked...

Alfred Arnold

P.S.: In the meantime, I managed to compile a kernel with the DMA... messages
commented out.  It was a bit tricky, because my Decstation's disk was almost
full and I had to compile a kernel via NFS on another machine...thank you,
Jonathan and Toru, for your prompt help!  Jonathan, if my remark about snap-
shots offended you, I honestly apologize for it.

However, my first build of a NetBSD kernel brings me to my next question ;-)
I also wanted to have SYSV IPC in the kernel, so I added

options         SYSVMSG
options         SYSVSEM
options         SYSVSHM

to the config file.  This seems to work in general; however 'ipcs' terminates
when it tries to display semaphores:

bash$ ipcs
Message Queues:
T     ID     KEY        MODE       OWNER    GROUP

Shared Memory:
T     ID     KEY        MODE       OWNER    GROUP

Bad system call

I have obviously overlooked something...

Alfred Arnold                                 Phone: +49 (2461) 61-2434
Zentralinstitut fuer Angewandte Mathematik    Fax  : +49 (2461) 61-6656
Forschungszentrum Juelich                     E-Mail: a.arnold@kfa-juelich.de
D-52425 Juelich, Germany

There is three kind of people, those who can count and those who can't. :)