Subject: Re: more on booting a 3100 to install
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Rob Deker <deker@digex.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/06/1997 19:00:11
On Thu, 6 Mar 1997, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> >distribution, that I need to populate /dev. Ok, this makes sense. But how
> >do I populate /dev w/o having a booted decstation 3100? Any ideas? Could
> >somebody send me a tarred /dev from a decstation 3100 running 1.2?
>
> Usually, you can just run the NetBSD/pmax MAKEDEV script on the NFS
> server with the diskless machine's /dev.    As long as the
> device-special nodes have the right major and minor numbers, accessing
> them across  NFS will work just fine: the major/minor pair map
> to the `right' device on the diskless NetBSD/pmax box.

this did indeed work. I just wanted to make sure that there weren't any
arch specific worries...thanks...

rob (almost there...just need to get it to mount it's root...)

"Off the keyboard, through the CPU, | deker@digex.net
out the transceiver, down the rj45  | Systems Engineer
line, across the router, through    |
the Hub, out the gateway.           |
        Nothing but net."           |