Subject: Trouble with 2nd disk in 5000/33
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jan Mueller <jan.mueller@tu-harburg.d400.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/03/1997 21:57:17
Hi !

After playing around with diskless booting NetBSD/pmax 1.2
on my Decstation 5000/33
via bootp and mop (i can't get it work) i decided to take the
second HD out of my Ultrix 5100 Decsystem and use it as a temporary
install disk. Because the 5000/33 only supports one disk inside
the case, i connected the 2nd disk (Quantum LPS 340) to the
external scsi port and terminated it.

A  >>cnfg 3  showed both disks (primary is a RZ25) to me.
But after booting the kernel from the RZ25, the (old-style ??)
scsi configuration routine shows me a lot of errors and i get
back to the Boot-Prom prompt. So i disklabeled the LPS340 and
booted this one....same problem. Each disk alone boots, the Rz25
without problems and the LPS sometimes causes errors after
the scsi configuration routine and sometimes boots.
(PS: Ultrix has no problems with these two drives together !!)

As i read in some rather old mails from the archives, this was
a bug in the asc(?)-scsi driver with some fast SCSI 2 disks.

Is it still one, or are there any tricks
that fix it, or do i have to get another (slow) RZxx ?

BTW: is it possible to create a bootable TK50 Tape with
the standard distribution tar-files (i.e. dd a kernel and a miniroot to the
tape) ??

Thanx for help, Jan.
Jan Mueller
INET: jan.mueller@tu-harburg.d400.de