Subject: toolchain lossage
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/03/1997 09:29:15
Stumbled across this while building a kernel:

KERNLD?=        ld.old  # GNU binutils 2.7 ld can't link kernels, use 2.6

The "stock" ld (the one I got with the 1.2 "comp" set) is:

ld version 2.6 (with BFD 2.6)

So, I link with "ld", kernel doesn't run, but I think that's due to a bug
on how the console is determinted... (not sure yet, guess I'll play with
that tonight).  Symptom is kernel loads (via tftp), don't see the copyright.

I have a fairly minimalistic kernel config that has only DS3100 stuff in
it.  I suspect a problem in the console init code because I found one bug
in the console init code that prevented it from linking if an ioasic isn't
configured.

So, back to toolchain lossage.... Does anyone know _why_ 2.7 ld can't
cope with linking the kernel?  What is the mode of failure?