Subject: Re: NetBSD Kernel Booting rz0 & NetBSD Serial Port
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG, rusek@iname.com>
From: Andy Sparrow <andy@aonix.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/27/1997 18:46:39
> I have two questions:
>
> 1st:  Does anyone have a NetBSD 1.2 kernel that boots root on rz0?  I
> am currently using the generic kernel that ask for the root device.
> This is fine but it does not allow for remote re-booting.

I have several that are configured for root/swap/dump on rz2, I'd be
happy to build you a kernel if you need it. Drop me a line with your
preferred options/devices (CD9660, PPP vs SLIP etc) if you want.

Also, I think the kernel from one of the snapshots is configured to use rz0.
(It's not real thrilled to find an Ultrix disk there :)

> 2nd:  Has anyone been successful in getting the serial port to work.
> I need to hook up a serial printer to my pmax.  Also what device
> would I redirect the printing in order to use the serial port.

My PPP link is tty00 on a 5000/1xx. Strangely, this is the port
marked '3' (the one next to it, presumably tty01, is marked '2').
Seems to be the same on a 5000/200.

The kernel should have serial stuff built-in, just 'cd' into
'/dev' and do './MAKEDEV dc0' or './MAKEDEV scc0' depending on
whether you have a {5000/200,2100,3100} or a {5000/25,5000/1xx,
5000/240}.

Use a Radio Shack PC printer cable with a gender bender to suit the
DEC end of the cable, or get the cable with the correct ends.

I've been unable to get tty01 on the 5000/1xx machine to work (not tried
the 5000/200). I've seen some references to these machines having a "modem"
and a "printer" port, so I wondered if maybe there was some strangeness
with the pin-outs on the other port, but I've seen other documents/source
that simply say "two ports with hardware flow control".

I've tried both a null-modem and a modem cable on the other port to a modem
and got no response from either? Maybe just a dead serial port?

Regards,

AS