Subject: elf2ecoff
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Nathan Parrish <nparrish@best.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/22/1997 13:06:14
Right now I'm disk-less with my DS5000/200, and I've managed to get it
to boot off a NetBSD1.1/x386 box (actually mounting it's root and swap
fs's on a Digital Unix box).  I'm having a couple problems, not the
least of which being that it "hangs" after certain commands complete --
more/less for instance; it seems like my console hangs, it doesn't
accept any input, and I'm still in single-user so I have no way to
verify that it's actually hung beyond my console session.
I've managed to build a kernel under 1.2 (by the way, bravo!  it built
out of the box -- it took me a great deal of effort getting a kernel to
build back in the pre 1.2 days on a maxine, and I never did get the
resulting kernel to boot), but I can't get elf2ecoff to compile, nor
does it seem to be in the binary distribution (I'm actually using the
1.2 stuff from the BSDisc distribution, as I'm no longer blessed with
a remotely high-speed connection).  as usual, I'm at work and don't
have exact error codes, but it's basically complaining about two macros
defined in sys/exechdr_ecoff.h (something like that, fooey my memory is
terrible) which take one argument, and elf2ecoff.c is giving it two (they
are pointers to a file header and an ecoff header, IIRC (unlikely :)).  it
also appears taht elf2ecoff.c thinks there are a number of elements in the
file header and ecoff header structures that aren't there in teh definition
found in sys/exechdr_ecoff.h).
bear in mind this is all fresh 1.2, I haven't supped the latest includes
or anything like that.  I did try the elf2ecoff.c in current, and got a
different batch of errors.
so, the question is:  with stock 1.2 stuff, should elf2ecoff.c build?  I
note that elf2ecoff.c is found only in elftools, not in the actual src
distribution, mebbe this is trying to tell me something...

thanks in advance,
nathan

PS:  the diag leds remain on while my system is up and running netbsd...
I somehow find that unsettling; is that standard (all 8 leds are lit).