Subject: Re: 2100 questions
To: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/13/1997 01:34:48
At 10:36 AM 1/12/97 -0700, Michael L. Hitch wrote:
>On Jan 12,  1:23am, "Kevin P. Neal" wrote:
>> 1) Can I mop() NetBSD, assuming I run mopd on a server? One of the VAX guys
>> has a working mopd, I'm hoping I can use it to boot this 2100.
>
>  I would think it should work, although I have never tried it.  I seem to
>remember that some DECstations had problems with large kernels though.
>If I get a chance, I could give this a try with a 5000/25 and a 3100; I've
>also got a 2100 at work, but I think it's in pieces at the moment.

Ok, cool.

>> 2) Can I run the machine with no keyboard or mouse? I played with the
>> environmental variables in the boot prom: no joy. I really don't want to have
>> this machine sitting around with a keyboard, mouse, and terminal. Is there
>> any hope? I have prom version 7.02 on the board, if that helps.
>
>  You should be able to use the serial port for the console.  I've used the
>serial port on a 3100 OK at times (depending upon the state of the serial
>driver).  I think on the 3100/2100 you need to set osconsole to the number
>corresponding to the serial port "slot".  I don't remember what the value
>is at the moment, but I can probably take a look tomorrow when I get to
>work.  There are two serial ports on the 3100/2100 and I can't remember
>if they both will work as consoles or if the console is restricted to one
>port.

I have in my hand a "DECstation 2100/3100: Hardware Installation Guide,
Operator's Guide".

It says the machine has a "communications port" (tty 2) and a "printer/console
port" (tty 3). I don't know exactly what that means re using either port as
a console.

>> setenv console somenumber
where somenumber equals:

0 - let the machice pick the console
1 - console = keyboard and monitor (tty(0) and crt(0))
4 - "communications connector" tty(2)
8 - "printer/console connector" tty(3)
9 - union of 1 and 8

I setenv console 8, and on powerup the osconsole == 8 as well.

The bootmode is set to drop into the prom on poweron.

I did a disable tty(0), disable crt(0), enable tty(3). If a monitor is connected
at powerup, it's blank. The serial port is the console -- just like I wanted.
BUT, if I don't have a keyboard and mouse hooked up the machine will not pass
it's self tests. It hangs right after a "3.." is displayed. What do I do about
this?

>> I think I remember NetBSD being able to use a serial console?
>
>  It does, depending upon the state of the serial drivers - I think
>Jonathan and I had them working for the 1.2 release.

Spiffy. I'm not planning on upgrading every week, so if it works I'll be
fine for several months at least.
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Junior, Comp. Sci.    -   kpneal@pobox.com
XCOMM     http://www.pobox.com/~kpn/       -   kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu