Subject: pmax installation
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Olivier Vigneresse <o.vigneresse@ndirect.co.uk>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/06/1997 20:42:07
I am trying to install NetBSD on a DECstation 5000/200 from the Installation Guide.
The DECstation has 2 disks: one with Ultrix 4.2 (rz0) and the other one I am trying
to install NetBSD on (rz1).
I have successfully label the NetBSD disk and copied the miniroot on it, so that it
boots okay. The problem is with the "unpacking a full system" bit: either I try to
copy base.tar to /dev/rz1a but I can because once the miniroot has booted from this
partition I cannot mount it read-write, or I try to copy it to /dev/rz1d (or any other
partition except the first one for that matter) and the DECstation won't boot - I
suppose it is because contrarily to SUN workstation I am used to DECstations cannot
boot on any other partition than 'a'. The error message is the following:

>>boot 5/rz1d/netbsdBoot: 5/rz1d/netbsdopen(5/rz1d/netbsd) failed: 19
Can't boot '5/rz1d/netbsd'

Any idea of what went wrong/what I should do now (for boting is one thing but I
really look forward to runing a full-featured NetBSD system :-) ?

Thanks,

                                Olivier