Subject: Re: question
To: Thomas Graichen <graichen@rzpd.de>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: port-pmax
Date: 01/03/1997 11:24:18
On Fri, 3 Jan 1997, Thomas Graichen wrote:

.. far really good but on one of the 2100 it really often hangs (simply
.. hangs - no crash - but i have to reset the machine) and this always
.. happens then i access the disks heavily - the other machine is'nt
.. crashing that often (but it has other disks) - i'm now wondering if
.. this is a hardware problem or do i miss something in OpenBSD/pmax (i
.. have it now a the state of NetBSD-current 961107 - at least the pmax
.. and the mips dir - which is in OpenBSD "merged" into the pmax dir) ?

Since about November, I have a similar problem with a DS3100 running
NetBSD/pmax-current: When writing any file of non-negligible size to
a given disk, it would hang the system solidly -- the only way out is
to push the reset button.

However: if I turn off the disk in question (it is in an expansion
cabinet), the kernel will print out some diagnostics to tell that it
has discovered that the disk has been turned off, but it does not
recover and still needs the reset.

Before that, it was running nicely for several months.

My disk configuration is:
rz1 at sii0 drive 1 slave 0 DEC RZ24     (C) DEC rev 211B, 409792 512 byte
blocks
rz2 at sii0 drive 2 slave 0 DEC RZ24     (C) DEC rev 211B, 409792 512 byte
blocks
rz3 at sii0 drive 3 slave 0 DEC RZ56     (C) DEC rev 0400, 1299174 512
byte blocks

and the failing disk is rz3 (when a disk fails, it's of course going to be
the one with the largest capacity :)

As a side remark, I can add that in my case it is not *just* a question
about disk activity, because it fsck's without any problems...

I have not (yet) tried to use this disk with another computer, but I'm
tempted to do so to verify that the disk still works...

I'm sorry not to be able to help you, but we may have the same problem ?!

regards
Erik Bertelsen