Subject: Getting X11R5 server to run on a DECStation 5000/25
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Rusek <rusek@alpha.fdu.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/19/1996 00:47:51
I downloaded the X11R5 binaries from:

ftp.unit.no/pub/NetBSD/arch/pmax/X11R5/ver-5.26.

I am a little confused how to set this up since it is useing a
topdir of "/store".

I created a directory of /usr/X11R5 on my /usr partition.
I then created a symbolic link on the root partion of
/store pointing to /usr/X11R5 (ln -s /usr/X11R5 /store).  I then
copied the entire X11R5 build into that directory (bin diffs etc
include lib mab pic).  I had noticed that inside of the bin & lib
directories all the binaries have a appended suffix of @pmaxnetbsd.
Why is this? Do I need to mv them to take the suffix off?

When I go to execute Xcfbpmax or Xmfbpmax I get the following error
message:

	Couldn't open RGB_DB '/store/lib/X11/rgb'
	couldn't open pm

	Fatal server error:
	no screens found

I have also noticed that the /store/lib/X11/rgb.db file is missing.

Is there someplace where I can find detailed instructions on how to
implement this?  I only need this for the server.  I have already
gone through installing a functioning X11R6.1 client.

Thank you in advance, and sorry about the length of this question.

---
Robert Rusek
Systems Network Analyst
Farleigh Dickinson University
rusek@fdu.edu / RobRusek@aol.com
Thought for the day:
    Intuition (n): an uncanny sixth sense which tells people
    that they are right, whether they are or not.