Subject: Dual Disk Install Inquiry
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matthew Schnierle <pyld@grove.iup.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/10/1996 21:16:58
You guessed it--another dork trying to install Netbsd/pmax..

I'm trying to install netbsd/pmax onto a DECstation 5000/120 with two
rz55s.  So far, I've managed (via another decstation running ultrix, and
the ultrix disk labeler) to take one of the rz55s, label it, put it into
the target decstation, and boot the miniroot.  Now, herein lies my
inquiry:

Will the following work:

1.  Use the tools provided, label and newfs the new disk.
2.  Mount the new partitions as appropriate.
3.  Tar up the miniroot, and unpack it on what will be the root partition
    of the new disk.
4.  Configure the network, and NFS mount an ultrix disk with the binary
    distribution sets.
5.  Unpack the binary sets onto the new disk.
6.  Fiddle with /etc/fstab and a few other things as appropriate.
7.  Reboot to the new disk.

Here is the prototype file I'm going to try to use on the new disk (an
rz55).  I had some of the geometry from memory, so it might not be
perfect.

type: SCSI
disk: rz55
label:
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 36
tracks/cylinder: 15
sectors/cylinder: 18360
cylinders: 1224
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
drivedata: 0

4 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize   cpg]
  a:    65536        0    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   # (Cyl)
  b:    98304    65536      swap                        # (Cyl)
  c:   660960        0    unused     1024  8192         # (Cyl)
  d:   497120   163840    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   # (Cyl)

Any help, suggestions, and even constructive flames will be appreciated.

-Matthew Schnierle
-pyld@grove.iup.edu
-http://www.iup.edu/~pyld/
-Member, Programmers Local 1036--AFL-CPIO.
-Stomp out Internet Spam.  http://www.vix.com/spam/