Subject: Re: ld - Linker Problem...
To: Robert Rusek <rusek@alpha.fdu.edu>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: port-pmax
Date: 12/08/1996 23:26:34
On Sun, 8 Dec 1996, Robert Rusek wrote:

.. I have discovered that the -Bshareable flag for ld does not work.  It
.. says that it is an invalid option.  I looked at the source code for
.. the ld and found that it is an option in there.  Could NetBSD 1.2
.. have a falty ld?  It seems like the ld from NetBSD is a GNU linker.
..
.. Is there any fix for this?  Does anybody have a ld that accepts the
.. -Bshareable flag?
..

NetBSD/pmax has not supported sharable libraries, and we have only
recently seen attempts to implement this based on various people's
work, among those Manuel Bouyer.

In short: You'll have to wait a bit to get shared libraries on
NetBSD/pmax. Why is this so,you may ask -- well one of differences
between the pmax port and the majority (all?) of the other ports is
that NetBSD uses a.out binaries on most platforms, but elf on
NetBSD/pmax. The NetBSD "toolchain" (i.e. compilers and linkers)
have not been updated to support elf, and the current pmax work
is based on current versions of the GNU toolchain, including
the current version of binutils.

regards
Erik Bertelsen (who is participating in the testing of getting
shared libraries to work)