Subject: Re: Spin up a drive?
To: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/28/1996 20:19:13
On Thu, 28 Nov 1996, Michael L. Hitch wrote:

.. On Nov 28, 12:11am, "H. Jared Agnew" wrote:
.. >   I dont have the manuals to the DecStation 5000/25, might anyone know
.. > what the command is to spin up a drive at the boot prompt.  I'm booting
.. > diskless and I would like the kernel to ID the disk, it only does it if I
.. > do a warm reboot, I just need to spin the drive up off a cold boot??
..

If the 5000/25 has the same console commands as a 5000/1xx, there is a
"scsi" command with two letter sub-commands to reset, test, etc. the
bus or single drives. You can status sense and in fact start commands
to single disk units on the bus.

I don't recall the actual command list, but on the 5000/133 I think that
the "scsi" command has a help option.

I hope that this helps, and if needed, I can even dig out the operators
guide for this machine to verify the command parameters.

regards
Erik Bertelsen