Subject: Re: Installation Problems on a DECStation 5000/25
To: Robert Rusek <rusek@alpha.fdu.edu>
From: Kevin M. Lahey <kml@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/26/1996 11:16:52
In message <199611261515.KAA17206@alpha.fdu.edu>"Robert Rusek" writes
>I have performed the following steps and procedure:

[All of which look okay to me...]

>8)At this point as far as I can tell the system performs a init
>  and locks up.

I've found that 'tcpdump -vvs 192 ip host host-name-here' was extremely
useful in getting my box to boot.  I could see exactly what the client
wanted and what it wasn't getting.

[snip]

>Since this I had also found out that I need to run MAKEDEV in the
>/dev directory for my DECStation 5000 client.

This sounds like the problem.  I'm sorta curious about why NetBSD
doesn't just include the /dev directory in the distributions -- I've
been bit by this bug before, when doing upgrades.   After unpacking the
tarballs and dropping a kernel in, it is mighty easy to forget that
critical 'MAKEDEV' step, and the error message isn't particularly
helpful.  It certainly would be worth downloading a few extra Kbytes
of data to get this working correctly.

Or am I missing something?

Kevin