Subject: X server status?
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: C.A. Marby <marby@lhasa.harvard.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/03/1996 20:34:31
Hi,

I recently successfully installed NetBSD 1.2 on a couple of
DECstations. [Primarilly in protest to DEC!]

I have tried to build X11R6.1, and not too suprisingly it doesn't
work, however on rummaging around in a few places it seems clear that
some work on X has been done. For one thing there is a kernel
interface to the graphics console, I've also seen some other stuff in
source files I've been looking through. I'm prepared to spend some
time on this project, and an wondering where I begin. I suspect my
efforts at going through the X11R6.1 source may have been duplicated,
but anyway I got most of the stuff to compile. (I used static
libraries.) The warnings during build look fairly trivial except that
the Xdecserver does not build :(.  The main machine I would be working
with is a DECstation 5000/200 with 40Mb RAM and currently a 1Gb disk,
the latter may be increased if I need some more space :). I could
arrange network access to this machine via a direct ethernet
connection if this is useful. I also have access to Ultrix 4.4 which
may or may not be useful too.

Craig

    __o
  _ \<,_       C.A. Marby    marby@lhasa.harvard.edu