Subject: Re: X11 for pmax/NetBSD-1.2
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thomas Graichen <graichen@physik.fu-berlin.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/01/1996 19:31:23
Simon Greaves (S.J.Greaves@hw.ac.uk) wrote:
: Hello,

: Having now got my maxine up and running, I tried to compile X11R6.1, but
: get problems with the server. I saw a comment on the WWW site about the X
: server being really old, so I wondered what the current status of X
: support is, and where I can get a working server for this machine.

: Any help mucho appreciated,

someone else and me are working on making some kind of X for the pmax ready
(for OpenBSD - but this should'nt be the big problem) - our first goal is to
build a working X11R5 server and X11R6.1 clients and the next step should be
to get the ws interface which is required for an X11R6.1 server into the
OpenBSD kernel or if that fails to get the X11R5 interface brought into
X11R6.1 - but we are still in the beginnig phase (i was the last time working
on getting OpenBSD/pmax working - today i finished the first make build - so
we can slowly start with the X work)

i'll kepp you informed if we get any significant steps forward - and we would
be happy if anyone else has made any experieces with x servers und NetBSD/pmax
could share it's experiences with us - becasue it's not the intention to
reinvent the wheel :-) - but the only thing i know is arne's X11R5 server -
but it does'nt seem to work on a current NetBSD (or OpenBSD) system - at least
due to my own tries

  thomas graichen    graichen@mail.physik.fu-berlin.de    graichen@FreeBSD.org

  perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when
      there is no longer anything to take away    antoine de saint-exupery