Subject: Help, I lost my kernel
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/21/1996 12:44:24
Partly as a consequence of my earlier problem with booting current
kernels, I cleaned up in my / directory.

As it inevitable happens at some point in time, I have forgotten that
/netbsd was not bootable, and in fact I cleaned up (i.e. removed) all
my previous kernel leaving no bootable kernel in /. ----- Sigh.....

Now: Will anyone be willing to build a current kernel, e.g. based on
the DS3100 configuration (or GENERIC) and convert it to ecoff format
using the elf utilities and then mail this kernel to me ?? Then I
plan to boot via tftp and use my local disk as the root file system.

I have actually tried to net-boot from the kernels found in
/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.2/pmax on ftp.netbsd.org. Netbsd.ecoff fails
with a memory reference outside of the kernel address space -- this
looks like the message I got when trying to enable the SYSVxxx options
on my then functioning system. Nfsnetbsd.ecoff panics with a
"revarp failed" diagnostic -- this may be because I did not set up
a root file system on the NFS server.

Still hoping to be able to recover my system

- Erik Bertelsen