Subject: Re: The perhaps old question..
To: None <graphix@iastate.edu>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 10/02/1996 01:26:06
In message <9609140939.AA23469@spiff.cc.iastate.edu>,
Kent Vander Velden writes:

>  My question is that of perhaps a common nature.  I am curious when/if
>shared library support will be in -current/pmax by default?  I am aware
>of patches but am catious about using such things that have not been as
>tested as -current/pmax.

Shared library support is not in the 1.2 release.  It was not
possible to get it integrated before the 1.2 code freeze, which
happened in April.  Elf shared-library support in libc
will be in -current, which should be available again in a few days.

All the kernel-level MIPS-abi elf shared library support is already
n the 1.2 kernel,  thanks to Per Fogelstrom (pefo@openbsd.org).

You may have to build a shared-lib toolchain yourself, until someone
builds a post-1.2 snapshot with shared libraries.  I have school
deadlines and I'm unlikely to do this myself; someone else may get
there first.

The Alpha port is also moving to Elf and elf sharedlibs.  NetBSD now
has a ``standard''  ELF ld.so, which is Matt Thomas's port of
the FreeBSD ld.so, rather than GNU source, or so I believe.

I'm hoping to use the `native' NetBSD elf utilities (e.g., ld.so), and
share it with the ALpha port, rather than continuting to use  the
OpenBSD ld.so. I expect other NetBSD ports will do the same thing,
eventually.