Subject: Re: DAT drive not recognized
To: None <apriebe@aip.de, port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/20/1996 10:44:03
On Sep 20,  2:31pm, Andreas Priebe wrote:
>     rz0   RZ57     (C) DEC   DEC        5000   DIR
>     rz1   RZ56     (C) DEC   DEC        0300   DIR
>     tz4   C1533A             HP         9503   SEQ
> rz0 at asc0 drive 0 slave 0 DEC RZ57     (C) DEC rev 5000, 1954050 512 byte blocks
> rz1 at asc0 drive 1 slave 0 DEC RZ56     (C) DEC rev 0300, 1299174 512 byte blocks
> rz4: unknown media code 0x1

  SCSI id 4 is "reserved" for a fixed disk drive.

> The section in the config file looks currently:
> rz0     at      oldscsibus?     target ? drive ?
> rz1     at      oldscsibus?     target ? drive ?
> rz2     at      oldscsibus?     target ? drive ?
> rz3     at      oldscsibus?     target ? drive ?
> rz4     at      oldscsibus?     target ? drive ?
> rz5     at      oldscsibus?     target ? drive ?
> tz0     at      oldscsibus?     target ? drive ?
> tz1     at      oldscsibus?     target ? drive ?
>
> I have to note that I made several attempts (eg. adding tz2 .. tz5, or
> naming them directly as tz4 on drive 4 ...) either ending as above or not
> even noting anything except the 2 disks.
>
> Any suggestions are welcome,

  The SCSI configuration in the config file is not used - that configuration
is for the "new" machine-independant SCSI driver, which are not currently
used.  The pmax port is still using an "old" pmax SCSI configuration, with
some "glue" to fit the old drivers into new config structure.  That glue
code hard-wires targets 0-4 to rz0-rz4 and targets 5-6 to tz0-tz1.

  You will need to either use ID 5 or 6 for your tape, or modify
pmax/pmax/conf-glue.c to change the target-device mapping.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant