Subject: Re: problems labeling a decstation 2100 disk
To: Thomas Graichen <graichen@axp5.physik.fu-berlin.de>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/13/1996 00:48:01
>i want to install NetBSD on a pmax (DECstation 2100) - but i can't get the
>disklabel on it - the machine is running ultrix (on rz3)

>  root@pluto:~> uname -a
>  ULTRIX pluto 4.3 0 RISC
>  root@pluto:~>

Others have reported success with the binary-format disklabel.
The ECOFF version may be newer than your kernel supports, or the
Ultrix disklabel ioctls may have changed.   From here it's hard
to tell.

The ultrix-binary disklabel program that writes a NetBSD disklable is
something that Ted Lemon created. The only Ultrix systems I have
access to are running 4.2a; they will also produce a version 2.10
ECOFF binary.

.then i treid to recompile it from the sources in disklabel.tar.gz but this
>won't work because it look for i think NetBSD includes - so i can't do
>anything more - can someone please help me - give me tips or alternatives - or
>maybe a running version of disklabel for my ultrix version or sources that
>will compile or maybe someone may make such a label on a disk and send me a dd
>of the first some kbytes of the disk if that works

I verified that "bmake CC=gcc" (bmake is Berkeley make) recompiles
disklabel, from the source in the tarfile, on an Ultrix 4.2a system.
The resulting binary is on ftp.netbsd.org, with the source, as
 'ultrix4.2a-disklabel'.    I'm not sure how much more I can help,
remotely, without access to an Ultrix 4.3 system.

You might like to check the port-pmax e-mail archive, there may
be more on this there.

--Jonathan