Subject: Re: Preliminary diskless-install instructions on web page
To: Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@CS.Duke.EDU>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/12/1996 15:26:01
hi,

Sorry about leaving out the  elf2ecoff instructions. That was a very
silly thing for me to have overlooked, especially since I took out the
reference to elf2ecoff for constructing a kernel bootable from an
Ultrix root filesystem!

I put in a paragraph on that in the diskless-boot instructions, which
really should turn into a web page of their own.

Anyway, if you can send me the patches for elf2ecoff that would be
great.  I will try and get them put in as an Official Patch to 1.2.

If I find time over the weekend (doubtful, I moved 2 weeks ago and
haven't yet completely unpacked) I will try and build a stripped-down
ecoff kernel.     However, the experience i have from the V-kernel
at Stanford suggests that newer PROMS for ioctl-asic machines
(e.g.,  the ones shipped as an FCO to installed machines to make them
able to boot from CD-ROM) simply do not boot well from TFTP at all.
Only MOP booting really works reliably  on these PROMS.  (Even the
small V secondary bootloader  failed to boot via TFTP.)

If that is the case for your machine,  I think porting  the
NetBSD/vax MOP server to Decstations (adding ELF binary support
to it) may be necessary.

sorry to pass on such unhelpful news,
--Jonathan