Subject: problems labeling a decstation 2100 disk
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thomas Graichen <graichen@axp5.physik.fu-berlin.de>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/11/1996 18:53:16
hello

i want to install NetBSD on a pmax (DECstation 2100) - but i can't get the
disklabel on it - the machine is running ultrix (on rz3)

  root@pluto:~> uname -a
  ULTRIX pluto 4.3 0 RISC
  root@pluto:~>

and the disk i want to label is a FUJITSU M2624S-512 and should have the
following disktab entry (that's the entry used for ultrix i think + the
dt=SCSI i found in the pmax /etc/disktab file)

M2624S|FU2624|fu2624| FUJITSU M2624S-512:\
        :dt=SCSI:ty=winchester:ns#50:nt#20:nc#1015:\
        :pc#1015812:oc#0:bc#8192:fc#1024:

i tried the disklabel for ultrix program from the tools directory of the
snapshot

  root@pluto:~>  file disklabel
  disklabel:        mipsel demand paged executable not stripped - version 3.0
  root@pluto:~>

but it core dumps - may be it's a os version problem - because i for instance
get

  root@pluto:~> file /bin/sh
  /bin/sh:        mipsel demand paged executable - version 2.10
  root@pluto:~>

then i treid to recompile it from the sources in disklabel.tar.gz but this
won't work because it look for i think NetBSD includes - so i can't do
anything more - can someone please help me - give me tips or alternatives - or
maybe a running version of disklabel for my ultrix version or sources that
will compile or maybe someone may make such a label on a disk and send me a dd
of the first some kbytes of the disk if that works

a lot of thanks in advance

    thomas graichen    graichen@physik.fu-berlin.de    graichen@FreeBSD.org

  perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when
      there is no longer anything to take away    antoine de saint-exupery