Subject: Re: Preliminary diskless-install instructions on web page, clarification of disklabel offset issue
To: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/10/1996 23:32:26
On Tue, 10 Sep 1996 10:41:25 +0200 (MET DST)  Erik Bertelsen wrote:

> On the DS5000 I get the following result:
>
>   >>boot 3/tftp
>   ?IO: 3/tftp, a.out err (-2)
>
> Am I right in guessing that the DS5000 booter does not recognize the
> kernel file's format?? -- or is there another explanation?

The pmax tftp needs to find an ecoff kernel.  There's an "elf2ecoff" in
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/pmax/tools/elftools.tar.gz that
you have to use.  It goes something like this:

	make nfsnetbsd
	elf2ecoff nfsnetbsd.elf nfsnetbsd.ecoff
	cp nfsnetbsd.ecoff /tftpboot/nfsnetbsd

I've only just checked the the installation web page, and it doesn't
seem to mention this anywhere, but I'm sure Andrew's original
instructions did.

I'm getting hassles at the moment with error 5 (EIO), which I'm
guessing has something to do with the "kernel too large" problems.  The
results of trimming my kernel ended up in the PR I sent earlier about
tape/disk drives, and I'm still playing with getting a kernel with no
frame-buffer support working...

I wonder if it's worth looking at some sort of two-stage netboot loader
to get around these problems?

Simon.