Subject: Preliminary diskless-install instructions on web page,
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/08/1996 15:05:58
I've bashed a version of Andrew Gallatin's diskless-setup notes
into HTML and added them to the pmax installation web page.
Thanks to Andrew for trying this, and for posting the instructions.

I'd appreciate  feedback from anyone who has time to read it, and
even more from anyone who has time to try setting up a diskless-boot
environment.

I've also added a note about the old hack of configuring a disklabel
for an installation 'A' partition with an offset of 16   blocks.
I beleive that was a tacit workaround (kludge) to get the right
offset, when the miniroot installation  instructions were missing
an "skip=1" line.  The current Install web page tries to explain
what's going on with the "seek=16 skip=16".

I'd  appreciate if someone who's done an installation recently,
using skip=16 on the dd copy of the miniroot, could confirm that
specifying a 16-block  disklabel offset is no longer necessary or
useful.  (I'm morally certain it is, but it never hurts to check.)

--Jonathan