Subject: Re: Vaxstation 3100/30
To: Jacob Suter <jsuter@bsd.intrastar.net>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/02/1996 16:52:58
On August 2, you wrote:
> I was under the impression the Vaxstation and Decstation were the same,
> just shipped with a different OS (VMS or DEC Unix).  If I am incorrect,
> please tell me before I try the impossible :).  If there is support for
> the Vaxstation 3100/30 in another port of NetBSD or other "free" unix
> clone, please tell me....

  The VAXstation line of computers is based on various implementations
of the VAX architecture, an old and very elegant CISC architecture.
The DECstation line is based on a RISC architecture developed by MIPS;
the R2000 and R3000 processors.

  NetBSD supports both architectures, more or less...NetBSD/pmax will
run on most DECstations, while NetBSD/vax will run on some models of
VAX computers...but not VAXstation 3100 machines yet.  They seem
pretty close, but it's probably still a few months away.

                          -Dave McGuire