Subject: Re: Should I Accept a DS5000?
To: None <mark@access.tucson.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@ensta.fr>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/28/1996 15:48:25
Mark Taylor said:

> My organization has been offered a DS5000/200 to
> use as an internet server.  Friends have advised me
> to avoid the Ultrix environment, so I'm looking into
> alternatives.
>
> The question is:  how complete is the port of NetBSD?
> Am I looking at weeks of set up headaches, trying to
> find drivers, tracing incompatibilities, etc?

The most important problem I had on my 5000/200 was to install NetBSD.
Now there is a diskless boot procedure, this should be easier.

I'm runnning NetBSD or 8 month now, and I am happy with it. I had some
problems with the scsi driver, which seems to have been solved now.
I think my DS5000/200 should do a good internet server.
Also, if you want to run X11, you will have to use a X11R5 server, there
is a leak of driver for X11R6. I didn't get perl running too, but as I
did'nt really need it, I didn't look any longer. This may be a problem for
you, but I think you should be able to use a Ultrix binary.

--
Manuel Bouyer, Ecole Nationale Superieure de Techniques Avancees, Paris
email: bouyer@ensta.fr