Subject: Re: Serial Console DS2100?
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeremy C. McDermond <mcdermj@xenotropic.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/26/1996 08:40:09
In message <199607260100.SAA00840@Cup.DSG.Stanford.EDU>, Jonathan Stone writes:

>It sounds like something is interrupting, there's no driver for it,
>and so the interrupt happens again when the interrupt handler returns.
>
>Have you pulled the framebuffer card from the 3100? If not, I'd try
>that.  Have you tried removing  the machine from the network (and
>terminating the Ethernet?)

The framebuffer card is out -- it's on the network...

>I can't guess at other causes without knowing how old your kernel source
>is.  Is this a 1.1 release kernel, or something built from -current
>since then?  Or the 1.1 "release" miniroot?

This is the 1.2 ALPHA kernel off of
  ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/arch/pmax/snapshot/netbsd
The ident string from the kernel is:
  NetBSD 1.2_ALPHA (NEWCONF) #1: Sun Jun 23 14:28:20 PDT 1996
    jonathan@Reno.DSG.Stanford.EDU:/usr/src/sys/arch/pmax/compile/NEWCONF

I have cooked up my own miniroot with the base.tar.gz off of that distribution
as well -- as the kernel isn't even booting, It doesn't seem like a
filesystem problem.

I tried putting back *IN* the framebuffer card, as it's just a memory board,
and all the real logic is on the system board, hoping that maybe this is
causing the problem.  It made no difference.  I think part of the problem
is that the kernel is *recognizing* a pm0, and this is interfering with
things.  I'd test this theory out, but I can't compile a new kernel.

>It's possible serial consoles don't work on the old miniroot. My
>supply of 3100s has gone; I don't have one to test. I _think_ it
>works...
>
>I guess a confirmation from someone on the list with a 3100 with a
>serial console, that serial consoles work on PMAXes, would be the best
>answer.

Jeremy C. McDermond                                     mcdermj@xenotropic.com
Xenotropic Imaging Systems
"Stupidity is like Nuclear Power; It can be used for good or evil...
 and you don't want to get any on you."                 --From a Dilbert strip