Subject: updated 1.2 snapshots available / install problem
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/25/1996 11:43:41
During the last couple of days I have been trying to install NetBSD/pmax
on a DECstation 3100 with a couple of disks.

Using Ultrix I have succeeded to label a disk (rz2) and copy the
miniroot to it. I had to make several gross hacks in the so-called
ultrix version of disklabel to make it work (e.g. setting the
size of the boot blocks before using it...).

I can boot the miniroot (either miniroot from ftp.netbsd.org or
Arne Juuls miniroot w/gzip).

Running this miniroot I have now labeled rz1 using the native disklabel
from the miniroot and with another DECstation running Ultrix as a
NFS server I have installed base.tar from Jonathan's very recent
1.2 shapshot using pax.

Finally I have copied the kernel to rz1a.

When I try to boot this kernel (boot -f rz(0,1,0)netbsd), the kernel
loads and probes the hardware and tells me that it is changing the root
device to rz1a (as expected).

The the kernel hangs very shortly, with the following lines
as the last output on the console:

  Changing root device to rz1a
  rconsattach: 1 raster consoles
  WARNING: clock gained 729 days -- CHECK AND RESET THE DATE!
  init: copying out flags `-s 3' 3
  init: copying out path `/sbin/init' 11

Then it just hangs ?!?!?!?!

Why ????

If I try the kernel from the miniroot instead, it asks me about the
root file system, but then hangs in the same place.

I have also verified that rz1a contains /sbin/init.

regards
Erik Bertelsen