Subject: Re: NetBSD master CVS tree commits
To: None <jonathan@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@NAS.NASA.GOV>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/20/1996 10:18:43
On Thu, 20 Jun 1996 03:10:02 -0400 (EDT)
 The Source of All Evil <source@NetBSD.ORG> wrote:

 > The previous revision of elf.c replaced Ted Lemon's elf exec machinery
 > with something closer to Christos' MI elf machinery. It turns out
 > that old NetBSD/pmax elf binaries have three segments, and the newer
 > elf exec machinery cannot exec them.
 >
 > The old elf exec machinery is folded back into cpu_exec.c, which falls
 > back onto using the old machinery if the new machinery fails. The
 > old-style binaries will be deprecated at the 1.2 release.

This is a perfect candidate for a COMPAT_11/COMPAT_10 compatibility
clause.  I don't see any good reason why the ability to run the old
programs should go away completely.

Maybe a good name for the old ELF code would be mips/mips/elf_compat.c

Ciao.

 -- save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/ --