Subject: Re: Kernel compiling...
To: Adam Fritzler <afritz@starlink.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@lix.polytechnique.fr>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/19/1996 09:21:38
Adam Fritzler said:

> 	I have a 5k/25 DECstation:  I've gotten NetBSD/pmax running all the way
> into multiuser mode.  I used a miniroot and bootblocks from gregorio, and
> the new (a few days ago) binary snapshots off of ftp.netbsd.org (base, comp,
> text, etc...).  I also sup'ed the kernel sources, and gcc came in
> comp.tar.gz.  Can NetBSD/pmax compile its own kernel, or do I have to
> compile it under Ultrix???

NetBSD can compile its kernels. I usually do it on a 5000/200.

>  Now for the stupid question:  If I can compile a
> kernel under NetBSD, where does it expect the kernel to be found in the
> filesystem??? Off sup, I have a directory that has the directories doc,
> othersrc, and src under it.  Where do I put this directory??? /usr/src?
> integrate into /usr??

You can put the sources where you want. Mines are in /usr/src/src_current, or
in /usr/src/tmp/current, depending on wich sources I'm working on. Once the
kernel is compiled, you just need to cp'it into /netbsd. A good thing is to
backup /netbsd into /netbsd.old before installing the new kernel.
The boot blocks looks for a file named /netbsd in the file system, so there
is no need to reinstall the boot blocks when you change the kernel, as
for linux.

--
Manuel Bouyer, LIX, Ecole Polytechnique
email: bouyer@lix.polytechnique.fr