Subject: Re: dead RZ55 disk
To: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Bernie Doehner <bad@uhf.wdc.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/08/1996 09:17:58
Hi Simon,

Thanks for coming to the "rescue".

> Does the drive actually start spinning?  If it doesn't, then you might

Yes.

> try giving it a solid tap with the handle of a screwdriver on the side
> of the disk just as it makes the rubbing noise.  I've also found a one
> inch drop of a corner can help.

What if it does start spinning? I didn't do this (tapping), because I
believe jerking an old drive  while the platter is moving may really crash the
heads (am I wrong?)

 > I  must say that I wont be responsible if  this damages your disk :-)
> Just use some degree of caution...

Understood.  As far as I am concerned the drive is already history, so
I'll try taping it with a screw driver (or dropping it an inch) - I
really have nothing to lose.

Thanks.

Bernie