Subject: Re: dead RZ55 disk
To: Bernie Doehner <bad@uhf.wdc.net>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/08/1996 17:07:58
On Fri, 7 Jun 1996 10:49:18 -0400 (EDT)  Bernie Doehner wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Very bad news. I have been very busy in the last couple of months with
> work and was just now going to try to finally install NetBSD on my Pmax.
>
> [ stuff from Bernie deleted ... ]
>
> But now this doesn't work and moreover, I get to the point of
> boot -f rz(0,0,0)vmunix, and the drive clicks once and then I hear what
> sounds like a rubbing noise. Shortly thereafter the console times out.
> Powering it down and back up doesn't help.
>
> To you DEC drive guru's out there: Is there any hope for this drive?

Sounds suspiciously like stiction.  We don't have any RZ55s, but get
this problem occasionally on RZ57s and RZ58s.

Does the drive actually start spinning?  If it doesn't, then you might
try giving it a solid tap with the handle of a screwdriver on the side
of the disk just as it makes the rubbing noise.  I've also found a one
inch drop of a corner can help.

I must say that I wont be responsible if this damages your disk :-)
Just use some degree of caution...

Simon.