Subject: Re: NetBSD pmax binaries on Gregorio.Stanford.EDU:/pub/NetBSD/pmax (part 3 of 4)
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Cagney <cagney@highland.com.au>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/25/1996 23:33:40
To: schulz%freia.inf.tu-dresden.de.patrick@eas.iis.fhg.de
cc: port-pmax@netbsd.org, patrick@eas.iis.fhg.de, explorer@vorpal.com
Subject: Re: can I use NetBSD on my machine ???
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 1994 13:02:49 -0600
From: "Michael Graff" <explorer@vorpal.com>

>The machine has 8 MByte RAM ( really ) and runs ULTRIX 4.1.

It could work on it...  read on though.

>Yesterday I read some facts about NetBSD. Now I hope to use
>NetBSD instead of ULTRIX. The smaller kernel ( I hope it's
>smaller then 4 MB ) and the shared libs could make work with
>8 Mbyte RAM easier. Am I right ???

There are no shared libraries yet, and NetBSD isn't in production or anywhere
close yet.

>So what's the current status of the pmax port ? How many diskspace
>will I need ?  ( I have a 285 MB disk ) Is there a port of X11R5
>( with a server ) ?

--Michael

--
Michael Graff <explorer@vorpal.com>       NetBSD is the way to go!
PGP key on a key-server near you!         Rayshade the world!

>From dean@fsa.ca  Fri Nov  4 20:03:06 1994
	id RAA13687; Fri, 4 Nov 1994 17:03:43 -0800
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 1994 17:03:43 -0800 (PST)
From: The Dragon De Monsyne <dragondm@netcom.com>
Subject: NetBSD-pmax w/o Ultrix?

	At this stage in th' game, is it possible to setup & run
NetBSD-pmax w/o Ultrix? I have a few  OS-less
doorstops^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^HDECstations, and would like to get SOME use out
of 'em, but I don't have ultrix. (These are DS5000/25's BTW.) I can get
access to other Unixen, just not Ultrix ones.  So, is NetBSD-pmax a
'stand-alone' OS (tho' beta/alpha/whatever-test, I'm sure) ?  If not,
anyone wanna buy 2 DS5k/25's, cuz I can't use 'em.

  /~~   -The Dragon De Monsyne               	 /  The Integration     ~~\
 /					       _|________________	   \
/	dragondm@netcom.com  		        |    /	   /	 \          \
\ 	Ph(815) 385-6166 | (815)344-0771      __|___/_____/______/	    /
 \      The Integration Project:	        |	 /		   /
  \ __  Public Internet For The Future         /        /  Project      __/

To: The Dragon De Monsyne <dragondm@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: NetBSD-pmax w/o Ultrix?
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 1994 17:53:21 -0800
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@ipd.wellsfargo.com>

You should be able to get NetBSD running on those machines, although I
am currently having trouble getting it going on mine.   However, it
will take a bit of doing since you don't have Ultrix.   Unless you're
willing to spend a lot of time hacking around, you might want to wait
until the port is a bit more stable...

			       _MelloN_

--
Ted Lemon		      Wells Fargo Bank, Information Protection Division
mellon@ipd.wellsfargo.com					+1 415 477 5045

  (5.67a/IDA1.5hp for port-pmax@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu); Mon, 7 Nov 1994 00:20:58 -0600
From: Ted Spradley <tsprad@metronet.com>
Subject: System hangs with the disk light on
To: port-pmax@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 1994 00:20:57 -0600 (CST)

Has anyone else seen this?  Quite a few times since I installed Jonathan
Stone's binaries, my DS3100 has just frozen up, with the LED on the disk
drive lit but nothing happening.  It's always when it's busy, lots of
activity on both disk and ethernet.  I think it's always been while
running the compiler, but that's probably because that's all I've done
that's made it so busy.

It's always been in single-user mode, too (I haven't successfully gotten
to run level 3 yet, but I haven't really tried).

If no one else has seen this I'll look for hardware bugs (questionable
cabling to second disk), if others have the same symptoms I'll look for
device driver bugs, unless anyone has a better suggestion.

--
Ted Spradley                tsprad@metronet.com             +1-214-484-5356
Brisco: "...the more I learn the less I know."

To: Ted Spradley <tsprad@metronet.com>
cc: port-pmax@netbsd.org, explorer@vorpal.com
Subject: Re: System hangs with the disk light on
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 1994 00:51:01 -0600
From: "Michael Graff" <explorer@vorpal.com>

>If no one else has seen this I'll look for hardware bugs (questionable
>cabling to second disk), if others have the same symptoms I'll look for
>device driver bugs, unless anyone has a better suggestion.

I've beat the hell out of my DS2100, and never had that happen yet.  I've
been doing a lot of disk IO with ethernet traffic with no problem.  If you
were on single user though, you were likely on the graphics console?  If so,
perhaps that's something I should try -- I was telnetted into the machine.

--Michael

--

To: Ted Spradley <tsprad@metronet.com>
cc: port-pmax@netbsd.org
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 1994 01:33:48 -0600
From: "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>

>Has anyone else seen this?  Quite a few times since I installed Jonathan
>Stone's binaries, my DS3100 has just frozen up, with the LED on the disk
>drive lit but nothing happening.  It's always when it's busy, lots of
>activity on both disk and ethernet.  I think it's always been while
>running the compiler, but that's probably because that's all I've done
>that's made it so busy.

This sounds like a SCSI termination or cabling problem to me.  Make
sure you have all your SCSI devices properly cabled and terminated
(plus, make sure nothing is sharing SCSI ID's).

   Michael L. VanLoon     michaelv@HeadCandy.com     michaelv@iastate.edu
  Free your mind and your machine -- NetBSD free un*x for PC/Mac/Amiga/etc.
     Working NetBSD ports: 386+PC, Mac, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4c, PC532
               In progress: DEC pmax (MIPS R2k/3k), VAX, Sun4m

To: Ted Spradley <tsprad@metronet.com>
Cc: port-pmax@netbsd.org
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@novatel.ca>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 1994 08:54:51 -0700

On Mon, 7 Nov 1994 00:20:57 -0600 (CST)   Ted Spradley <tsprad@metronet.com> wrote:
 > If no one else has seen this I'll look for hardware bugs (questionable
 > cabling to second disk), if others have the same symptoms I'll look for
 > device driver bugs, unless anyone has a better suggestion.

Haven't seen it... Mines been up 3 days so far.

>From dean@fsa.ca  Mon Nov  7 12:53:45 1994
	by gossip.pyramid.com (5.61/OSx5.1a Pyramid-Internet-Gateway)
	id AA26084; Mon, 7 Nov 94 09:53:39 -0800
	id AA12092; Mon, 7 Nov 94 17:53:37 GMT
From: ralphc@pyramid.com (Ralph Campbell)
To: port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 1994 09:53:36 -0800 (PST)

> From owner-port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG Mon Nov  7 08:27:57 1994
> To: Ted Spradley <tsprad@metronet.com>
> Cc: port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: System hangs with the disk light on
> From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@novatel.ca>
> Date: Mon, 07 Nov 1994 08:54:51 -0700
> Sender: owner-port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG
>
> On Mon, 7 Nov 1994 00:20:57 -0600 (CST)   Ted Spradley <tsprad@metronet.com> wrote:
>  > If no one else has seen this I'll look for hardware bugs (questionable
>  > cabling to second disk), if others have the same symptoms I'll look for
>  > device driver bugs, unless anyone has a better suggestion.
>
> Haven't seen it... Mines been up 3 days so far.

I have seen this on 4.4 systems. It usually has to do with old disk drives
(like the RZ23) that can't handle large SCSI transfers. Try
	sysctl -w debug.doclusterread=0
	sysctl -w debug.doclusterwrite=0
to disable clustered disk I/O. It could also be a bug in the sii driver
but without a SCSI logic analyzer, I couldn't find it.

      -m-------  Ralph Campbell				ralphc@pyramid.com
    ---mmm-----  Pyramid Technology Corporation		Tel: (408) 428-8639
  -----mmmmm---  3860 North First Street M.S. SJ2-2-30	Fax: (408) 428-8845
-------mmmmmmm-  San Jose, CA 95134

To: netbsd-users@netbsd.org, current-users@netbsd.org, amiga@netbsd.org,
        macbsd-general@netbsd.org, netbsd-help@netbsd.org,
        port-i386@netbsd.org, port-m68k@netbsd.org, port-hp300@netbsd.org,
        port-pc532@netbsd.org, port-sparc@netbsd.org, port-pmax@netbsd.org,
        port-vax@netbsd.org
Cc: cgd@alpha.bostic.com
Subject: Announcing the release of NetBSD 1.0
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 1994 14:40:08 -0500
From: "Chris G. Demetriou" <cgd@alpha.bostic.com>

[ sorry for the massive duplication...  don't want many stones left
unturned... -- cgd ]

I am pleased to announce the availability of release 1.0 of the NetBSD
operating system, a freely available and redistributable BSD system
that runs on a variety of hardware platforms.  NetBSD 1.0 is based on
4.4BSD Lite and Berkeley Networking Release 2 sources.  It includes
support for shared libraries on most architectures, the enhanced
Berkeley Fast File System (which supports 64-bit file sizes and
clustering), rock-solid networking code, and a fair amount of binary
compatibility with other operating systems.  A list of significant
changes since the last release is present in the "CHANGES" file in the
distribution.  The list is far too long to include here.

Release 1.0 of the NetBSD operating system is distributed with complete
source code and is available from the distribution sites listed
at the bottom of this message.  At this time, binary releases for the
following architectures are available:
	Amigas
	i386-family PCs
	some m68k-based Macintoshes
	PC532
	SPARCstation (sun4c) -class machines

In addition, a binary release is expected, but not yet ready, for the
HP9000/300 family of workstations.  Though the NetBSD 1.0 source tree
includes support for DECstations, some Sun 3 models, and some VAXen,
those ports are not far enough along to merit a complete binary
distribution.

Within the next few days, installation and release notes for each of
the ports mentioned above will be posted to the appropriate mailing
lists and/or newsgroups for those ports.  If those notes don't answer
any questions you might have about NetBSD, you should probably
subscribe to one of more of the NetBSD mailing lists, and ask there.
For information on what lists are available and how to subscribe,
mail majordomo@NetBSD.ORG with an empty message body.

Enjoy!

Chris Demetriou
The NetBSD Project
NetBSD Mirror Site List

The following sites mirror the NetBSD 1.0.  Those marked with "[*]"
are also known to mirror NetBSD-current.

Host name		Services Provided
---- ----		-------- --------
ftp.iastate.edu		Anonymous FTP, AFS [*]

	Anon-FTP path: pub/netbsd/NetBSD-1.0
	AFS path: /afs/iastate.edu/public/ftp/pub/netbsd/NetBSD-1.0

ftp.eecs.umich.edu	Anonymous FTP [*]

	Anon-FTP path: BSD/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.0

gatekeeper.dec.com	Anonymous FTP

	Anon-FTP path: pub/BSD/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.0

wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de	Anonymous FTP, SUP [*]

	Anon-FTP path: pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.0
	SUP: get the file pub/misc/sup/supfile.example via
		anonymous FTP, and read it as an example.

NetBSD.rmit.edu.au	Anonymous FTP, SUP [*]

	Anon-FTP path: pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.0
	SUP: get the file /README.sup via anonymous FTP, and
		read it for information.

ftp.demon.co.uk		Anonymous FTP, possibly SUP [*]

	Anon-FTP path: pub/BSD/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.0
	SUP: contact peter@demon.net for SUP server status/information

ftp.ibp.fr		Anonymous FTP [*]

	Anon-FTP path: pub/NetBSD

ftp.uni-regensburg.de	Anonymous FTP

	Anon-FTP path: pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.0

ftp.unit.no		Anonymous FTP

	Anon-FTP path: pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.0

ftp.stacken.kth.se	Anonymous FTP

	Anon-FTP path: pub/OS/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.0

flick.lerc.nasa.gov	Anonymous FTP

	Anon-FTP path: pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.0

coombs.anu.edu.au	Anonymous FTP

	Anon-FTP path: pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.0

ftp.funet.fi		Anonymous FTP

	Anon-FTP path: pub/unix/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.0

col.hp.com		Anonymous FTP [*]

	Anon-FTP path: mirrors/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.0

ftp.netbsd.org		Anonymous FTP, SUP [*]

	Anon-FTP path: pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.0
	SUP: get the file pub/sup/README.sup via anonymous FTP from
		ftp.netbsd.org, and read it for instructions.

If you wish to become a distribution site for NetBSD, contact Chris
Demetriou <cgd@NetBSD.ORG>.

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 1994 10:42:13 -0500
From: arnold@cc.gatech.edu (Arnold Robbins)
To: port-pmax@netbsd.org
Subject: bootstrapping from ultrix

Greetings. I have just subscribed to this list.  With the release of 1.0,