Subject: the plot thickens
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Set <set@kickapoo.catd.iastate.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 04/22/1996 00:48:59
@> Andrew Gallatin writes:
@>  >
@>  > set@kickapoo.catd.iastate.edu writes:
@>  >  > cputype == DS_PMAX; I dont't think we should be doing this..
@>  >  > dc0 at mainbus0
@>  >  >
@>  >  >                ^ this is where it hangs.
@>  >  > 	There is an odd block cursor in the middle of the screen also.
@>  >
@>  > Hmm.  It seems to work on our 3100s.  Let me dig up a 2100 & see if I
@>  > can duplicate this.  But even if I could, it wouldn't help because my
@>  > I supped Monday & my source tree is really messed up...
@>
@> OK sorry for the delay.  I've dug up a 2100.  Firmware revision kn01

	No problem; I am very thankful for your help.

@> v7.0, 16MB, mono, 1 rz23 disk.  It works fine with the kernel I have
@> up for ftp (and have had there since Mar 12th or so).
@>
	Mine is kn01 v7.01 12mb, mono, no disk, to recap..

@> As Ted suggested, make sure that you're looking at the proper console
@> device, your problem could be caused by the system sending output to a
@> serial console.  To do this, set your console variable, init, and
@> boot.  In most cases, seting your console to 0 should work if you want
@> to use the graphics console, so you'd do:
@>
@> >> setenv console 0
@> >> init
@> ....
@> >> boot -f tftp()
@>
@>
	Ok. I checked and it was set to console 0. But I noticed another
	variable 'osconsole' set to 1. I found a manual on the monitor
	console commands, and it says console=0 means 'let the system
	choose the device' and that osconsole is set to the device that
	the system chooses. (1 being crt(0) and tty(0), higher numbers
	being other things). Not giving up, I tried setting the osconsole
	to 0 (a value it will never be set to on powerup btw.) and tried
	again. This time it booted much further, finding the ether, the
	scsi, and last, some sort of clock. Then it stopped.
	Interestingly, the message about PROM seial output you list below:

@> BTW, if the output going to a serial console is the problem, you
@> should be seeing a message on the graphics screen like:
@>
@> Using PROM serial output until serial drivers initialized
@>                   ^^^^^^^^
	This message
	comes up when the variable osconsole is set to 0, and the machine
	appears to boot much farther (or at least display more on the
	screen:), but that message does not appear when console=0 and
	osconsole=1.
	I dont have any of those amusing little rj11? mutations that dec
	decided for some perverse unknown reason to use as their serial
	port connectors, so I cannot hook up a terminal to the serial
	port to see if anything is coming out there...
	Clearly the console issue is signifigant, can you think of any
	reason it might be behaving like I describe?

	Paul
	set@kickapoo.catd.iastate.edu