Subject: crashes and kernel building
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert L. Urban <urban@rto.dec.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/29/1996 20:36:13
Hi Folks,

I've got a DECstation 2100 running with the v1.1 generic kernel.  I populated
my filesystems with the snapshot from jonathan.

The system now crashes at the drop of a hat. Almost any kind of activity
seems to exacerbate the problem.  the panic is always (at least all that
I've seen) "free: multiples frees".

The questions:

Has anyone else seen this panic?

I'm still running the generic kernel from miniroot-1.1+tar+gzip+mount_ffs.
>From the various readmes that I've seen the build still must run on Ultrix.
Is this true.  Is it possible to just build a kernel natively?  If so, are
there some instructions on how to go about this lying around somewhere (i.e.,
what current sources need to be copied, a summary of the build, process, etc).

Also, I'm getting the errors:

	/netbsd: sii_StartCmd: timeout cs d440 ds f812 cnt 0
	/netbsd: sii_DoIntr: cmd wait ds 7002 cnt 0

quite often, particularly when doing disk i/o, but also on a quiet, multiuser
system.  Are these the famous sensitive-scsi-driver errors?

Config info:
a partition of RZ23	/	(32 MB)
b partition "  "	swap	(72 MB)
c partition of RZ25	/usr	(~400 MB)

DECstation 2100 with color frame buffer, 24 MB, both disks internal.

Network, yp, sendmail, routed, inetd, lpd, timed configured.

Rob Urban