Subject: Re: boot init fails
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-pmax
Date: 03/27/1996 21:14:28
> NetBSD will not boot on my decstation 5000/120 (possibly 125), and I need
> help.  Here's what happens when I try to boot (I reported this in an
> eralier article):
>
>      >> boot 3/rz1/netbsd
>      boot init failed
>      open (3/rz1/netbsd) failed: 7
>      Can't boot '3/rz1/netbsd'
>
> On a 5000/200, the same disk geets much farther in the boot process.  I
> am convinced that the bootblocks do not work on my machine.  Can anyone
> help provide working bootblocks?

FWIW, i'm convinced of the same thing...  Ken had me puzzling over
this one, too.  8-)

We tried:
	the 1.1 boot blocks and miniroot,
	boot blocks and miniroot from gregorio.stanford.edu.

We also tried using 'init' before doing 'boot', to clear out any
console lossage caused by previous failed boots.

Is anybody successfully using NetBSD/pmax on a 3min?

A random comment about the process, since i'm writing this mail:

it'd be sort of nice if the miniroot image was filled with zeros
before being newfs.  some 'random data' from a disk block in the first
(always-empty) 8k of the file system ... can look confusing.

chris